5:2In this diet you eat like normal for 5 days (in moderation, of course) and fast for 2 days, sounds easy right? With the fasting plans, many people experience health benefits at the same time as weight loss. On fasting days you eat low-calorie foods like green vegetables, white fish, and low-fat diaries. You’ll find plenty of recipes that will suit your recommended calorie intake while fasting inside the Recipes tab in the app. On non-fasting days you eat according to the general recommendations – a great and varied intake of fruits, vegetables, whole grain options and healthy fat sources (such as fatty fish, nuts and seeds). Remember not to overeat on normal days. Since you’ll eat a lot less on fasting days than on normal days, you may experience feelings of exhaustion, especially in the beginning. Do not plan social events (dinners, parties) or hard exercise on these days, do that on the non-fasting days instead. 6:1In this diet you have the same recommendations as in 5:2, but just one single day of fasting. Perfect if you have a life filled with social events and struggling to fit in two days of fasting. Has dieting ever been easier? If you experience stagnation in weight loss or need a challenge, switch to 5:2 – simple!Recommended foods on normal days:
- Grains (i.e. oats, buckwheat, barley, quinoa, kernel)
- Legumes (i.e. lentils, black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas)
- Vegetables (i.e. broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, kale, tomatoes, cabbage, peas, avocado, brussels)
- Root vegetables (i.e. potato, sweet potato, beetroot, parsnip)
- Berries (i.e. strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cloudberries)
- Fruits (i.e. pear, apple, banana, mango, orange, plum)
- Oils (i.e. rapeseed oil, virgin olive oil, sesame oil)
- Seeds (i.e. chia, psyllium, sunflower, pumpkin, hemp)
- Dairy (i.e. plain quark, cottage cheese, plain yoghurt)
- Fish (i.e. salmon, cod, herring, rainbow trout, haddock, mackerel, hoki, tuna)
Recommended foods on fasting days:
- Green vegetables (i.e. spinach, kale, lettuce, cucumber, zucchini)
- White fish (i.e. cod, hoki)
- Low fat dairy products (i.e. low fat yoghurt, low fat quark)
- Read the food labels to avoid foods with hidden sugars and unhealthy fats!
- Prepare your food from scratch! By doing this you know the exact ingredients of your meal and you can avoid sugar, artificial additives and unhealthy fats.
- Plan your fasting days around your life! Avoid going to social events on your fasting days, and plan your heavy workouts on the normal eating days.
It’s important to note that some foods and meals can end up with higher or lower score due to different nutritional information. If you’re ever unsure, double check that all nutrition values are correct and if you find any errors you can always either edit the item yourself or report it. We do our absolute best to verify the accuracy of the nutrition information. Although, we cannot guarantee its accuracy.If you are having any medical conditions or suffers from conditions like eating disorders you may not use Lifesum. In that case, always consult your doctor first. Sources of recommendations: National Institute on Aging – Calorie Restriction and Fasting Diets: What do We Know?